Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mis(s)Adventure 不定期連載之五:新年快樂 | Mis(s)Adventure, trial and tribulation 5: Happy New Year

Yes, I know I'm a month late to write about my new year celebrations. Must admit I've been procrastinating... (by the way, one of my new year resolutions is to kick this bad habit...)
  
Right, back to the subject.
  
I was planning to have a very quiet New Year's Eve. I just couldn't see myself going to Lan Kwai Fong or Wan Chai just to get myself drunk. I can pretty much do that any other day.
   
That day I left office after lunch and went to meet up a friend and spent some great time together. After that I needed to go pick up some stuff for my dear friend (but that's another complicated story) before going home for dinner.
   
Mid-night arrived unceremoniously as I watched Madonna's concert on DVD. I was about to send a text to wish a few friends happy new year when J texted me to see if I wanted to go out. And I thought why not? By the time I got ready to go out, half of the crazy crowd on the streets would have been gone. It would be bearable. Besides, I hadn't gone out with J for quite a while. So, to Wan Chai we went...
  
There were still a lot of people out there but not as bad as I thought. Most of them were actually on their way home. The two of us went to an English pub. We didn't want anything fancy. Just a (relatively) decent place where we could sit down and talk would be good enough.
  
We were about to finish our drinks and go when a young guy asked if he could sit next to us. Well, why not?
  
Then his friend sat down as well. J and I were literally stuck between them.
  
Then they started talking.
  
"What's your name?" 
"Where are you from?"
 
** yawn ** how boring...
  
"Where do you live?"
I said, "Hong Kong." (you stupid)
   
"Yes, but where?"
"Hong Kong Island." (sigh)
  
"But where in Hong Kong island?"
"Why would I tell you?"
  
"OK, let me guess. Pao Ma Dei?"
"Oh, so that's the only place you know how to say in Cantonese (and in a bad accent)? Nope, I don't live in Happy Valley." 
 
"Er, you look posh. The Peak?"
"I'm not posh. No." (eyes rolling)
  
"OK, Repulse Bay."
    
At this point, it was getting so stupid that it's actually funny. The other guy tried to say something else so that we wouldn't think they're creeps. J and I were trying very hard not to burst out laughing.
  
"Oh, I know I know. Stanley!"
"Erm... actually yes." I said. "We're from Stanley Prison. It's New Year's Eve and we got half day release. You see those four big guys at the door? They're the guards. They'll make sure we go back there safely, in less than half and hour."
   
It's very easy to BS when you're a little tipsy.
   
And that was obviously the biggest, worst, stupidest hint to tell them we really didn't want to talk to them any more. They finally gave us peace.
  
Don't say we're mean. We had been very patient with them. But there must be something more interesting to talk about than to find out where people live?
   
Or maybe I'm just too old for that.

No comments: