Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Panic Birthday Dinner

My mom’s birthday was early October so obviously this is a very late post…

The whole family already had the birthday dinner the weekend before the actual date and I thought I could just give her the tiramisu on the day. That afternoon, I called to say happy birthday and then I realised dad wouldn’t be coming home for dinner. So I told mom I would cook for her. 

After I hung up, major panic kicked in. I had no idea what to cook. And I didn’t have much time to shop and actually cook!!! Should I do pasta? Boring. Steak? Nah, she doesn’t like it that much. What does she like to eat? Well, pizza… but how the hell was I gonna make a pizza?! Oh, wait, she likes tabouleh! 

I wouldn’t have the time to chop all those tomatoes and cucumber and parsley. Plus I would have to think of another hot / meat dish to go with the salad. So, no tabouleh. Instead, I’d make a simple one pot dinner with couscous.

Couscous with Chorizo and Chickpeas

Ingredients

  • 1 cup couscous
  • olive oil 
  • chorizo, sliced 
  • 1 tsp paprika  
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained 
  • 425ml chicken stock
  • chopped parsley, to serve



Method

  1. Prepare couscous according to the packet’s instructions.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large pan and stir fry the chorizo for 3-4 mins. 
  3. Stir in the paprika, then tip in the chickpeas and the chicken stock. 
  4. Simmer for 2 mins. Spoon over the couscous and scatter with chopped parsley.
  5. Serve with a mixed leaf salad with lemon olive oil dressing. 

She beamed when she saw its couscous and that meant a lot to me. It feels good to cook for my parents. They always tell me it’s nice (whether it’s true or not, I don’t really care). Whereas my various attempts to cook for someone else never yielded this kind of result. 

No comments: